Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 1992 Mercury 200XRI. It started loosing power when

Customer Question
running & would sometimes shut...
I have a 1992 Mercury 200XRI. It started loosing power when running & would sometimes shut completely down. It may or may not start right back up but may or may not run well enough to plane out. Then it may run normal again the next time out. This went on for about 2 years. Finally would barely run at all. I work part time at a small boat repair shop & we started the process of elimination. Rebuilt fuel pump, replaced fuel lines, replaced TPS, verified correct fuel pressure, etc. Compression check showed one cylinder down to 0. Pulled head found burned piston (obvious lean out) Rebuilt engine, checked all components. Had all injectors check cleaned & flow tested. Found one 1 injector weak, cleaning fixed it. Back on the water engine ran great first time out. Next time out ran great at start of day, 1 hour later back to original problem. Next thought is replacing ECU. ... Recomendations PLEASE.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
4/2/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello Gary, my name is***** will assist you.Have you scanned the engine when it is not running good?How is the battery voltage when the engine is running?does the warning horn in the boat sound at key up every time?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not scanned engine, have not seen change in on board battery voltage gauge during problem, yes alarm sounds at each key up
Ok, I have a few simple checks that we can do right now, if you are ready. Are you near the engine?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, boat is at the shop. But I will gladly take any advise you have & follow up but probably can't til Monday. We tried to do some more troubleshooting this last Monday but couldn't get it to run. It started once but could not get it started & run again. Would only try to fire but not run. Even gave it a shot of start fluid but still didn't start
How do your plugs look?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only ran for about 2 hours after rebuild. Plugs were new with rebuild. Still look new.
Ok, Are you sure that you are getting spark on all 6?I will need to know the current compression on them. As well as the fuel pressure, and which plug that you are using. Also the battery voltage without any chargers on it and if it will pass a load test.
Then try and start it with the scanner connected, looking at active faults, do any at all pop up?
Oh, fuel pressure while cranking also.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have run compression check twice after rebuild & all were in the 120 range, I can check again if you need exact numbers. Have new Interstate battery in it now. Had to replace it as I have not used it in almost 2 years because of this problem & didn't want to burn any more Pistons up. Stock plugs NGK BU8H? can't remember right now. Fuel pressure was 40psi when we checked fuel system.
Great. How old is the gas in the boat?
Did you dump the filter into a glass jar to see if there was any water in it? Or pieces of the fuel line?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last summer, with treatment over this last winter. And yes fire on all 6 cylinders. The ecu is about the only thing we have not replaced or checked. Yes pulled fuel sample Monday, no water present.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have swapped the stator with no change.
When the engine dies, I take it that it is fully warmed up and will not restart until it cools down?Does the engine fuel pump ever stop running when the engine is running? You would see a drop in the pressure then? Is it losing spark?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, always after engine has warmed up. But it may start back up immediately, or may take several minutes. May run fine immediately or not go over 2000 rpm & bog when trying to get it to accelerate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't answer fuel pump or spark question, I have not checked.
Ok, I am going to need some voltages going to the switchboxes and coming out from them as well. This can be at cranking with the plugs out if you have the plug wires hooked to a spark tester. I will need the voltage on the Blue, and the Blue/white (low speed coil), and on the Red, and the Red/white (high speed coil)
Hook the fuel pressure gauge to the engine and run it, leave the gauge hooked up.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IF, I can get it started I will get this info this next week. How do I get this info back to you?
Simply reply back to me the same as you have been tonight. I do have a day job, as a Certified Mercury Tech during the day 8-5 CST, I normally come online after 6PM CST. Should you reply while I am away, I will be notified and respond as soon as I get back online.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I usually work at the shop til 7:00pm anyway. Thank you for your assistance.
Which time zone are you in?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
CST- Okla.
Mon 4 Apr, 6 PM , I am online if you are ready
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Charles,
Sorry I picked up a stomach virus. Up @ 3:45, wasn,t pretty, haven;t been out of the house today. hopefully tomorrow. Thank you for checking in. I will get back with you.
Ouch man, sorry to hear about that. But do me a favor, can you keep it in your state and not let is cross over into Ar?
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic