How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeff G. Your Own Question
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 4724
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
Type Your Boat Question Here...
Jeff G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am ***** *****. I have a 1994 force 120. The lower unit

Customer Question

Hi I am ***** ***** Davis. I have a 1994 force 120. The lower unit gears are badly worn, I would just like to replace it with good used. I am finding type a 20". But I believe mine is type B. Is there any compatible models that are interchangeable to give me a wider option.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All the gears in lower unit badly worn probably bent shaft.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

You can actually use any of the A,B,C or D lower units. They are different and you need to know which one you have to order parts but they will all bolt up to the same midsection, shifting and driveshaft. So what ever you get will work. Type B,C,D are preferable for the water pick up location.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. We just dropped the type b. With all parts associated. If I get type A will that work. Or do I need parts to change? Or just bolt it on.
I know the type a has intake on bullet. Type c has centerline above bulett.
I hope it is just a swap.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Just a swap, the parts that mate to the midsection are all the same.

Related Boat Questions