How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tan Your Own Question
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 10898
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
Type Your Boat Question Here...
Tan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tan I have a lees 6-115 heat exchanger and have bad pitting

Customer Question

Hi Tan I have a lees 6-115 heat exchanger and have bad pitting on the outer casing where the o ring sits. How is the best way to repair? Regards Graeme
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Graeme.

You can take the heat exchanger to a machine shop and have them repair the bad areas. A temporary fix is to use some marine-tex epoxy and fix the area. This will last for awhile but isn't as good a fix as the machine shop can do.

You also might be able to get a piece of flat rubber or a round gasket like this and use it instead of the o-ring. Here are some gaskets for exchangers.

Post back with questions.

Thank you.......Tan

Related Boat Questions