Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 200 HP. Merc. it carb. in a glass fuel filter I

Customer Question

I have a 200 HP. Merc. it carb. in a glass fuel filter I have bubbles coming thru with gas it will run for a few sec. an die unless I pump the throttle its the best outboard always dependable where do I start I've changed primer ball
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I would run the engine on an auxiliary fuel tank to eliminate the boat side fuel system as a possible cause for an air leak. If engine runs better and you have no more air bubbles then go to next procedure.

Start with checking all the fuel line connections for air leaks. Now if the fuel hose coming from the fuel tank is hard replace the fuel line.

If the engine runs the same and you still have air bubbles you have an air leak on the suction side of the fuel filter. Check all fuel lines and connections.

The air bubbles tell us you have an air leak on the suction side of the fuel pump. This will be the fuel supply line coming from the fuel tank.

Post back with questions.

Thank you.......Tan