Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Caterpillar 3176 marine engine, are you here? ok .... found…

Customer Question
Caterpillar 3176 marine engine ...

Caterpillar 3176 marine engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.

Are you here ?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'm here.

Ok .... found a boat with a 3176 pair ... these engine are now old and would like to know if you have any aftermarket solution /improved parts

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Is there anything that could be done to eradicate the known problem of the 3176 caterpillar marine engine
We are planing a rebuild and could we improve things
Answered in 3 days by:
3/28/2016
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

If you are worried of the problems specific to those engines you may wish to repower instead of rebuild which is a major undertaking. In terms of problems it would be a matter of what problems you are referring as rebuilding old engines usually have already replaced components that were problematic with newer corrected components. Over the years problems are found and companies make adjustments in order to try and fix the problems so with older engines you tend to get more options available in terms of repairs to known problems.

When rebuilding you are also going to have machine work and tolerances checked.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Do you know what updates have been made to the 3176 ?

I couldn't possibly name all the changes, you are talking about an engine series that has been out for a long time, now if you were talking an engine that was only out for a few years that would be different. Often times you will find things changed on a yearly basis some small some large but companies always try to improve on what they have put out in prior years.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic