Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

What would cause a buzzer or alarm sound in the dash that

Customer Question
won't stop and causes the...
What would cause a buzzer or alarm sound in the dash that won't stop and causes the engine not to run right? The only thing that will stop it is to unhook the battery or pull the fuse under the dash. The only way to get the engine to run right is to disconnect the three clips on the harness on the engine and the replug them. I read to do that under the engine cover. If you do that it runs fine but next time out same thing over again. When I put it up for the winter it was fine. Now this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
3/19/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Which engine do you have on the boat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yamaha 90 horsepower

Thanks. Do you have the full model number off the engine?

Is the alarm beeping or a solid tone?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
6HO-06
CU739 6510
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Solid tone

Those dont appear to be the correct numbers. It would be on the left side clamp bracket. If a four stroke, it will start with F, if a two stroke, it may be some other letter or just 90.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
90TLR
6H1 L (###) ###-####

That's it Thanks.

When this alarm happens, how long has the engine been running? At what RPM?

Does speeding up or slowing down change anything?

Do you know the service history of the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The alarm starts as soon as you turn the key on. When you try to speed up it boggs down. When you reset the plugs on the harness on the engine and reconnect the battery it runs fine. Also the instrument panel is not working. This all started at the same time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know the history other than the previous owner said he replaced the water pump

How is the oil tank on the engine?

Are all the engine connections clean, and not turning green?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good on both

Let me make sure that I am understanding you correctly. You turn the key on, the alarm sounds and does not shut off until you disconnect some plugs on the engine and reconnect them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you turn the key on the alarm sounds. The engine will start but will not run correctly. The gauges in the dash are not working. When I removed the engine cover I read that if your engine is running erratically you can reset the computer by unplugging and replugging the three plugs on the engine harness. I disconnect the battery at the same time just to be careful. After that there is no alarm and engine runs fine but gauges still don't work. After you kill the engine again the next time you start it then the alarm sounds and the engine doesn't run right.

Perplexing issue here.

Your engine does not have a computer, it just has a CDI, which runs the ignition on the engine.

For the gauges, are they analog or digital?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Anolog

Tach, trim, fuel, volt, none of these work at all. Not even zero out when you turn the key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not at all

Do you have access to a digital multimeter, to do some testing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No sir
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think it is serious? Do you think it needs to go to a shop?

What I need you to check is the voltage coming from the key switch that feeds the gauges.

If I am correct in my thinking, it is not really serious, we just need to be able to prove my theory. Most chain auto parts stores will rent you a decent meter, do you think that you could obtain one and I can guide you through the testing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, maybe. But it would have to be tomorrow.

Thats fine. It is late here. I do have to work in the shop tomorrow from 9 AM to 2 PM, CST. I will get online about 3 PM. We can continue then.

If you wish to switch to voice, via the phone, please accept the phone offer that I sent. With that you would get my number and I can be on the phone with you while you are testing items.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you sir. I appreciate your help.

Your very welcome. Talk at ya tomorrow.

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic