Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

The tilt on the motor stopped working both up and down, I…

Customer Question
The tilt on the...

The tilt on the motor stopped working both up and down

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I checked the leads going to the motor and when I went up and down from the switch on the motor I was getting 12v. Also I disconnected the leads and when I use just the battery I can tilt the motor up and down

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

When I got the boat home the battery discharged over a few days, it has never done that before. It could have a short

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Our top Marine Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Marine Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Marine Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
3/18/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Which engine are we working on?

60 hp
My name is Sam
sorry it's a 60hp mercury

Hi Sam. When you hit your trim buttons, can you hear the trim relays click?

There is no trim just straight up and down

What is the serial number on this engine?

You are talking about the "hydraulics" that is in between the clamp bracket portion of the outboard, correct?

I certainly can't hear anything from the driver seat I'm hard of hearing

the serial # ***** ***** and the year is 1997

Got the serial. Just to confirm, you are talking about the tilt and trim system that is not working, is that correct?

Are the relays on the base of the engine housing right at the back, away from the boat
but it will work with direct power from the battery

As you face the back of the engine, the relays are on the bottom left.

Are you near the engine now to do some testing?

Hit the trim up and down buttons on the lower cowling on the outboard. Can you hear the trim relays click?

It is not a click per say but I can hear something when I hit the down button not the up

Are you hearing the same noise in both directions? (Up and down?)

No only down

Do you have a helper to try the buttons at the shifter handle?

No
Don't bother
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you tried the trim switch # ***** on the side of the engine lower cover # *****? Click on this link to open diagram. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/static/img/MERMAR/817352.96/0.gif

If the motor pan switch does the same thing then you have 2 bad relays or a bad connection on the relays. Replace both relays and check all connections on the relays.

You have eliminated the trim motor as it works when jumped directly. Leaving the trim relays, connections or switch. Both switches won't go bad so if the switch on the motor pan works then you have a bad switch on the control. If neither switch works that leaves the relays or connections. These are the only things it can be.

Post back with questions and findings.

Why do I have a total of $89 pending against my credit card?????

I sent you over to customer service. I have nothing to do with billing. I only answer questions.

Do you still need help with your issue?

I will let you know when I purchase the parts, install and try them

Ok. Did you try the switch on the motor? If yes what did it do?