Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I am trying to hook up my 4.3 liter, 2010 in a bayliner the

Customer Question
colors are Orange, black, brown...
I am trying to hook up my 4.3 liter, 2010 in a bayliner the colors are Orange, black, brown, purple, gray, unfortunately I did not take it out can you help me, the serial number is *****
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
3/18/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic

This should cover your engine. Compare with the components on your engine. Let me know how you do or any problems.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does not include wiring the coil

What do you mean, the coil is on the wiring diagram?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does not show the order to wire the coil just what wire goes to what

Not sure whaqt you are asking. You needed to know what wire went where, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What pattern to connect on the coil, so brown to where ect we can tell where the wire goes to but when we try to connect to coil on this boat it blows fuses

Is the wire a tan, tan w/ blue stripe or a dark brown w/ white stripe? If a solid brown and you have the optional Mercathode system then it goes to that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope the wires are orange, black, brown, purple, gray we know purple is power and gray is tach the rest blow fuses when we hook them to the coil, we talked to another mechanic who had the same problem we figure there has to be an order to the coil for this 4.3 l engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have talked to a couple of mercury salesmen techs and they can't find it anywhere is this unique to mercury in a bay liner maybe

You have the MPI, fuel injected engine correct? Do you have the digital throttle? Do you have the Mercathode anti-corrosion system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's carbonated no to digital throttle don't know what the mercathoid corrosion
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok we just need to know which colors or wires go on the positive side or negative side we know where the wires run to
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the coil

Purple is the hot wire to the + positive side of the coil. The gray is the tach wire to the - side. The brown and orange do not run to the coil they go to a Mercathode system. Look on the transom and see if there is a devise with 4 wire terminals.

Do you have the wires from the distributor to the coil connected?

How about taking a picture of the wiring and post it here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no that was my next question, where does the black wire go, is that the distributor wire? I will not be back in the shop until the end of the week.

Black is ground. There are numerous ones on the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have that black wire off the distributor all ready hooked up this is the black wire from, the harness which would either go the the coil or the wire harness on the transom you referred to , are you saying only the gray and purple wire go to the coil.

Do you have the ignition module on the side of the dist.? Your serial number does not come up as a good number can you recheck the engine serial number?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh no the distributer plugs into the module with two wires and one is a ground hooks to the back of the motor with the battery ground It's on the side of the manifold
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the distributer has 3 wires white and green and white and pink those to plug into the ignition module it also has a black that is a ground! Coming out of the harness right by the coil are 5 wires solid brown, solid black, orange with a purple strip, and the grey and white that is the tac and purple that is positive wire to coil. If brown and orange/purple go to The transom terminal , where does the black go it's not a ground has the same ring terminal as what would go on the bolts on the coil

OK I believe you have the Thunderbold IV with the ignition module on the riser. White/red goes from dist to module. Yours may be faded.

Black to ground.

White/green dist to module.

Gray from module to - on coil

Gray from harness to - on coil

Purple from module to + on coil

Orange should go to Mercathode

Brown should go to Mercathode

The black may go to one of the small terminals on the starter solenoid, still a ground. None of my drawings show a black to the coil.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are dealing with the thunderbold
V6 4.3 and coil is on the back right hand side of motor and the starter is on bottom left hand side, and the ignition module is on the right riser the black wire is 2 ft away from the starter, can't be a ground might be neg side of coil

A ground can't go to the coil. When the key is on you have power to the + side. The gray wire from the ignition triggers the coil through the - terminal. A ground would destroy the coil. ALL BLACK WIRES ARE GROUNDS.

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic