Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 5hp (12y602 0110 E1) Just

Customer Question
bought a new carb, spark...
I have a Briggs and Stratton 5hp (12y602 0110 E1) Just bought a new carb, spark plug, and fuel pump.
When I try to start the motor, it'll run for a little bit and then start reving really high and just die out. Could it possibly be my rev limiter not letting it run?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
3/8/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic

That engine doesn't have a rev limiter. What is happening is you are running out of fuel. Just before it runs out of gas the engine leans out which causes high rpm. Then it gets too lean and stops. Check for a restriction in the carb or another reason for the carb to run out of fuel. Post back what you find.

Carb and fuel lines are all brand new.

I realize that but is is running out of gas. Pull the carb, open it up and check the float.

I have a feeling my fuel line connector may be sticking causing it to stop recovering fuel. When I pump the bulb from the gas tank and get it all full, is when it runs the longest

Run the fuel line directly to the fuel pump bypassing the connector. If it runs now you know it is the connector sucking air.