Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Trying to figure out why my Motorguide Great 82# 24volt

Customer Question
Trying to figure out why...
Trying to figure out why my Motorguide Great White 82# ***** trolling motor just stopped working today.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have good power to the front of the boat. But, the digital foot control doesn't seem to be getting power or isn't controlling the unit. I can't put it into stow or constant on. And the digital steering isn't working either now. It was working for about an hour this morning I ran it aground and it ran a little longer then went intermittent and finally nothing.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
2/28/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, this is Charles. Thank you for requesting me today.

What year is your trolling motor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2006
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, Charles are you still there?

Thanks,

How are you testing the power to the bow of the boat?

Are you near the motor now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it is outside.

Do you have a multimeter?

Ok can you remove the plug connector on the boat, then use the meter to make sure that you are getting at least 24V to the bow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you call me? I don't have the pin put for the plug and don't want to cross connect wires!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hold on. I understand. I will check the trolling motor plug for 24 volts and get back to you.

I tried to accept your phone call offer. It would not go through.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. Have you ever heard of the Troll Bridge?

On your motor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It goes between the batteries to make either 24 volts or 12 volts in series.

Ok, like a 12/24V switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 24.61 v to the bow.

Great. Now you will need to remove the plate from the bottom of the foot control. Then test for power on the large red and black wires there. This is with the motor plugged into the boat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have you in chat on my phone

I dont understand

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm out by the boat

ok great. Can you test the foot pedal voltage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have good voltage to the motor. What next?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which pin locations?

On the bottom of the foot pedal?

The black is on a junction block, the red goes to the control board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mine has a six pin connection nothing on the bottom
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you talking inside the foot pedal?

Yes in the foot pedal, you will need to remove the metal plate from the bottom of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mine is all plastic

Can you remove it? The diagram shows it will simply unscrew. With 4 screws

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just removed 6 screws to open the unit.

8 screws actually

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Color of wires : yellow, orange blue, green, gray, and white.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, you should find it under gb82.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Model GW82EX
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
foot pedal assembly (M0099101)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello

I have it open here.

With the loss of steering and speed, this failure your either be in the foot, or the main control board on the motor/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where does that leave me?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess I have to go see a MG service center?

Unfortunate it does need to go in. The issue being that the parts are very costly for this motor and a bunch of them are NLA. If your est. is too much, you make with to look at the Xi5. It is a much better motor than the Great White.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, but if I have to get a new one it will be the I pilot thru Minnesota Kota

Very Good choose as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have a good day.

You too Sir. Wish I could have helped more.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic