Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

The parts you suggested helping me to rebuild my steering…

Customer Question
Hi Jason, The parts you...
Hi Jason, The parts you suggested helping me to rebuild my steering system went together like clock work. However it is reversing the steering?? When I turn left it turns right and visea versa? I suppose that large flaring out part that is right before where the cable arm bolts ups must be some type of reversing mechanism?? The one that cam off my boat.was straight and did not balloon out like the one you recommended. as you can see in the pick I sent you. Please do t tell me I have to start all over again. Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/28/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Which system did you install?

I do not see a pic posted here.

You can't see the stream?
You want me to start all over again??
I have s question? If there is s money back guarantee then why did I have to pay again to get this mess straighten out?
JustAnswerAsk a question
You rated 5 stars
Jason
Keep Marine Mechanics on call - FREE! See how
Where can I get a Teleflex rack system...
Where can I get a Teleflex rack system for a 1998 Corrcet Craft 176. There is no part number
16 January 2016 05:23Jason Jason
Marine Mechanic
HI Mark,You can get the steering system anyplace that sells marine parts. Do you know the length of the cable? If not, have you pulled the cable out yet? Also, rack systems are kinda lousy, and old technology. Have you thought about upgrading to a Rotary system?16 January 2016 05:24 Jason Jason
Marine Mechanic
It looks like you read my reply and logged off, was this something you still needed help with?16 January 2016 06:07 Upgrading to the new type sounds good to me. Can you give me the manufacturer and part number?
16 January 2016 06:12 Yes I have replaced the cable
16 January 2016 06:12 Jason Jason
Marine Mechanic
I would need to know how long your cable is. Do you know how long it is?16 January 2016 06:34 It is currently 21' I know that because this project started with replacing it. However I do believe that it is at least 2' too long due to the amount of slack and /or extra cable. I think this could be from the last owner not ordering the proper length when they replaced it. On second thought I do not think that changing is the answer for me because I am planing on selling the boat soon so I all I need from you is the proper answer to my original question and to be more specific "Where can I find a steering rack online for a TELEFLEX tilt steering rack for a 1998 Correct Craft 176"" Please advise
17 January 2016 06:30 Jason Jason
Marine Mechanic
You can get them from anyplace that sells marine supplies, or is a teleflex dealer. Amazon is a good place to buy from because of their reliable shipping. Click this link below, this would be the rack system. On the drop down menu you can select the cable length of 19http://www.amazon.com/Teleflex…The rack system runs 239 and some change.The reason I asked about the rotary is because it's a much better system, and the boat will steer quite a bit better and with less effort. On top of that, because rotary is more common than rack and pinion, it's cheaper. Click this link below for a rotary system.http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ…The rotary system in the same cable length is only 205 and some change, so it's a better system at less money.Lastly, click this link below to watch a youtube video. This will show you the benefits of rotary over a rack and pinion system.https://www.youtube.com/watch?…17 January 2016 06:38 Jason Jason
Marine Mechanic
I think that should do it but I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank you,
Jason17 January 2016 06:39 Sorry for the delay I had to step out for awhile. After looking at the vidieo it looks like the Rotary type may not be for direct drive boats because they only specify outboard? Also we use this boat for competitive slalom skiing and I am not sur how the rotary system will perform while managing the slalom course with the intense pulling from side to side associated with the skiers pull? Also the conventional rack system that I have seems very unique and I am afraid that I will order the wrong one. The one that you sent and the one that I have found do not match up visually. Unfortunately TELEFLEX has no parts number on it, even though they do have the part number on the cable? That you letting me know how this works I will be sure to give you a positive review. Thanks
17 January 2016 08:56 Jason Jason
Marine Mechanic
Hi Mark. All Teleflex rack systems are the same. What I'm wondering now is if you actually do not have a Teleflex rack. Can you take a couple of pictures of your helm unit for me? (the helm is the steering box behind the wheel)17 January 2016 09:00 Hi Jason, how shall I send the pictures?
17 January 2016 09:05 Never mind I see the "add files" stand by
17 January 2016 09:06 Jason Jason
Marine Mechanic
There is a paperclip icon above the text box that you type into. What you do is hit the paperclip icon and then select th

I can see the other question, but there is no feed on it.

Would you like to wait on Jason? I can opt out of this question and he may get it in the morning?

Or, just tell me which system that you installed and I will assist you.

Did you just install a cable or the entire rack system?