Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2352 trophy with a 5.0 merc Alfa IO I just purchase

Customer Question

I have a 2352 trophy with a 5.0 merc Alfa IO I just purchase it. It sat for about 5 years The engine won't turn over. oil is clean spark plugs look good. Would it help to remove spark plugs, shoot some light weight oil in cylinders and hand crank. Thanks ***** ***** B.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the boat was partly submerged I can see water line inside cabin and Engine compartment it looks like the water was below valve covers way below exhaust risers
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not able to call right now but would be glad to work with you here. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lets get going
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeff are you working on my question Thanks Jerry B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeff G. Are you there
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I'm here

Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

OK. To be honest chances are the engine is frozen and may not be repairable. Lets try a couple things.

Remove all the spark plugs and using a penetrant spray liberally spray in all 8 cylinders. A great penetrant is a 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone. Let the penetrant work overnight, then repeat.

After letting the engine soak for at least 24 hours get a large breaker bar and socket and put it on the bolts of the harmonic balancer. This is the pulley at the front bottom. Hopefully the engine will move a little. If so repeat the lubricant, let it sit for a few hours and then try the breaker bar again. If the engine turns over keep turning it while a helper sprays the lube in the cylinders. Do this until the engine turns freely.

If the engine is still stuck then you are facing a replacement engine.

How is the rest of the boat and accessories?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rest of the boat is in very good condition
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Try what I posted and post back and we can go from there. If you need me I'll be back in the morning EST.

Thanks