Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Trim/tilt on both engines not working. No sound either. Have…

Customer Question
Trim/tilt on both engines...

Trim/tilt on both engines not working. No sound either. Have changed relays, replaced carbons and the moters worked fine when a mchanic came to do this work. 2 days later neither one worked. Current is getting to the motors as well and to the relays as we measured this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

No, this should do it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
2/26/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What engines are you working on?

Hi Jason,
They are twin Suzuki 225s 2013 and my name is Thomas

Hi Thomas,

When you hit the trim buttons, either on the control handle or the ones on the engine, can you hear the trim relays click?

Give me a few minutes. The boat is on the way here and I'll double check but I think they just click yes
I can see the boat coming now I'll go check right away

okay

Just checked...nothing from the control or the motor
no clicking

Do you have the engines covers off so that you can hear it, it would be a faint sound

we will do it again with covers off

okay

The other question I have is these motors should be under warranty. Are you looking to start tearing things apart and testing them?

No click. I live in Costa Rica so no warrenties here. I have had 2 mechanics here and we have gotten them to work both times but they only worked for 2 days before they stopped again.

Does the engine have analog controls or digital controls?

Someone told me to maybe check the release screw as there supposedly are some pins in there and if they get worn the motors will not respond. Haven't checked yet but do you anything about this???
analog

Do you have a voltmeter, and do you know how take voltage measurements?

We also did this with the mechanic and it seemed that current was getting to all the necesary parts

If there is no clicking from the relays then there is either no power to them, or no power to/from the trim buttons.

Lets start by checking the fuse. Do you know where the fuse panel is located on the engine?

I think so...let me know which fuse to check and I'll go down to the boat and check

The 60 amp fuse. Check for power both into, and out of, the 60 amp fuse. And let me know if you have power on it or not.

ok give me 15 minutes or so

okay

right motor 3.5 in and out left motor 3.5 in and 4.5 out

Are you positive that your meter results were accurate?

I checked it to the connect to the battery and got 12.5 so I think so but I could be wrong. I did it a few times to be sure once it was up to 8.5 on the right one but it showed mostly 3.5.
Is there a current regulator somewhere???

No, there is no such thing as a current regulator. A sitting battery measures roughly 12.5 V, give or take a few tenths. Where ever you test voltage on the motor you should always get the same measurement as battery voltage, to within about 1/2 a volt. When you get large drops in voltage like you are seeing, what that means is there is corrosion in the circuit you are testing. And that corrosion is acting like an electrical resistor, causing a drop in voltage.

Are there any battery switches in the boat, or do the battery cables connect directly to each engine?

If you pull the fuse out, is there any corrosion behind it?

Sorry for the delay. The other boat came in and I had to help unload it.The cables are connected to a perco. The fuse is nice and shiny. Maybe we can take off the Perco and do a full cleaning of the contacts on it. Everything else on the boat seems perfect which is what is so strange...

Do this as another test. Start the engine up and bring the RPMS up to about 1500 in neutral. Does the voltage at the fuses rise?

I'll check
Ok, we tried but the voltage was almost the same, it want up just a touch. We have measured the voltage from the battery to the engines and it is 13 volt.