Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Trim/tilt on both engines not working. No sound either. Have

Customer Question

Trim/tilt on both engines not working. No sound either. Have changed relays, replaced carbons and the moters worked fine when a mchanic came to do this work. 2 days later neither one worked. Current is getting to the motors as well and to the relays as we measured this.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No, this should do it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What engines are you working on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason,
They are twin Suzuki 225s 2013 and my name is Thomas
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thomas,

When you hit the trim buttons, either on the control handle or the ones on the engine, can you hear the trim relays click?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes. The boat is on the way here and I'll double check but I think they just click yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see the boat coming now I'll go check right away
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked...nothing from the control or the motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no clicking
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the engines covers off so that you can hear it, it would be a faint sound

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we will do it again with covers off
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

okay

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The other question I have is these motors should be under warranty. Are you looking to start tearing things apart and testing them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No click. I live in Costa Rica so no warrenties here. I have had 2 mechanics here and we have gotten them to work both times but they only worked for 2 days before they stopped again.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Does the engine have analog controls or digital controls?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone told me to maybe check the release screw as there supposedly are some pins in there and if they get worn the motors will not respond. Haven't checked yet but do you anything about this???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
analog
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a voltmeter, and do you know how take voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We also did this with the mechanic and it seemed that current was getting to all the necesary parts
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If there is no clicking from the relays then there is either no power to them, or no power to/from the trim buttons.

Lets start by checking the fuse. Do you know where the fuse panel is located on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so...let me know which fuse to check and I'll go down to the boat and check
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The 60 amp fuse. Check for power both into, and out of, the 60 amp fuse. And let me know if you have power on it or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok give me 15 minutes or so
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right motor 3.5 in and out left motor 3.5 in and 4.5 out
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you positive that your meter results were accurate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked it to the connect to the battery and got 12.5 so I think so but I could be wrong. I did it a few times to be sure once it was up to 8.5 on the right one but it showed mostly 3.5.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a current regulator somewhere???
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No, there is no such thing as a current regulator. A sitting battery measures roughly 12.5 V, give or take a few tenths. Where ever you test voltage on the motor you should always get the same measurement as battery voltage, to within about 1/2 a volt. When you get large drops in voltage like you are seeing, what that means is there is corrosion in the circuit you are testing. And that corrosion is acting like an electrical resistor, causing a drop in voltage.

Are there any battery switches in the boat, or do the battery cables connect directly to each engine?

If you pull the fuse out, is there any corrosion behind it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. The other boat came in and I had to help unload it.The cables are connected to a perco. The fuse is nice and shiny. Maybe we can take off the Perco and do a full cleaning of the contacts on it. Everything else on the boat seems perfect which is what is so strange...
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do this as another test. Start the engine up and bring the RPMS up to about 1500 in neutral. Does the voltage at the fuses rise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, we tried but the voltage was almost the same, it want up just a touch. We have measured the voltage from the battery to the engines and it is 13 volt.