Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2005 Chaparral 256 SSI- got stuck on a soft sandbar in an…

Customer Question
2005 Chaparral 256 SSI-...

2005 Chaparral 256 SSI- got stuck on a soft sandbar in an inlet yesterday and had to be pulled off, then the trim up stopped working- prop and outdrive seems to be fine upon looking at it in the lift, but trim not working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I try to trim up on the dash and there is no sound to trim up at all but a trim down sound when I push down, but the drive it stays frozen in the trim down position

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
2/21/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Which engine/drive system do you have on the boat? Is it a Mercruiser or Volvo? Do you have any kind of model information of your sterndrive setup?

Next, when you say the trim is not working. When you hit the button is the trim motor making noise but there is no lift from the sterndrive? Or is the trim motor not making any noise?

Volvo penta. I try to trim up on the dash and there is no sound to trim up at all but a trim down sound when I push down, but the drive stays frozen in the trim down position
I hear a clicking noise when I push up the trim switch and the engine hatch is openAdam, Yarbrough's here- our I/o trim switch only makes noise in the down position, makes no noise and does not trim up- what do you think the issue is? We got stuck on a sandbar yesterday and got pulled up- drive and prop look fine in the lift- is it the trim limit switch? Doesn't work from transom switch either

Hi Adam, which model is your sterndrive? Once I know what model sterndrive you have, I will know which trim system you have. (as there are many different types)

Volvo 5.7mpi w Volvo out drive
Duoprop

When you hit trim up you do hear a click, correct? If yes, are you also hearing a whirring noise, or hearing the trim motor itself run?

No just the click when pushing up
Whirring when pushing down

Got it. You could have a bad trim relay. What I would do in the shop is replace both trim relays (they operate as a pair) and retest. That will usually get it up and going again.

I think that should do it. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Hello, just checking in. Any progress?

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic