Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1998 25 hp, it starts fine, idles fine. When I put…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 25...
I have a 1998 25 hp Johnson, it starts fine, idles fine. When I put in in gear it will not open up. (About 25%) . Put in in netural and it will open wide open. ????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
2/18/2016
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

The engine will rev with no load even if it is running on one cylinder but will not with a load. We need to do a spark and compression test. The compression must be 90+ psi with no more than 15% difference between cylinders. The spark must jump a 7/16" gap on a spark gap tester. Now since the engine runs you can check for spark by removing the spark plug wire from each cylinder.You should hear the engine rpms change and hear the spark jump or crack when you remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug. The compression has to be tested with a compression gauge.

Can you do these checks and post back with findings?