Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

A 1996 gtx, No start or clicking when trying to crank. 2

Customer Question
A 1996 gtx JA: Thanks. Can...
A 1996 gtx
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No start or clicking when trying to crank. 2 beeps with key on dess post. Start button tested good. dess post tested good. Checked all fuses. swapped mpem from a working machine same thing no start. Jump across solenoid turns motor over great. When pressing start button no voltage is making it to the yellow solenoid wire to open it to allow voltage to cross and turn starter.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 6 days by:
2/23/2016
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Start by preforming these test:

Engine start/stop switch verification;
Disconnect the Yellow/Red wire of the start/stop switch. Using an ohmmeter, connect test probes to the Yellow/Red wire and to ground. Measure resistance, it must be an open circuit (switch is normally open). Depress and hold switch, the ohmmeter should read close to “0” ohm.

Safety Lanyard Switch Verification;
If 2 short beeps are not heard when installing the safety lanyard, disconnect the switch wires.
Safety lanyard removed;
connect the test probes to switch Black and Black/Yellow wires. It’s an open circuit, there should be no continuity.
Connect one test probe to the White/Gray wire and the other test probe to the switch terminal. Measure resistance, it should be “0” ohm. Connect one test probe to the Black wire and the other test probe to the switch ring. Measure resistance, it must be close to “0” ohm.
Safety lanyard on switch; connect the probes to switch Black and Black /Yellow wires. Measure resistance, it must be “0” ohm.

If all that is correct then you will want to check 12v out to starter solenoid and that it is not broken or grounded and or a poor connection such as corrosion. Not only do you have the fuses in the mpem but also in the black electronics box. From there if you have no 12v out from the mpem to the solenoid but the dess post/system is good as well as start/stop switch and all wiring then mpem is generally suspect, I do see you swapped mpem, yours using the dess system means the key must be programmed to the mpem, this means the machine you "borrowed" the mpem from you must use that dess key post cap to test with as it is programmed to it and vise versa, if you tried the other mpem but used the key cap that goes to the non working pwc then that would test incorrect and make you assume it was not the problem.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used the key from the mpem I swapped it with. When putting lanyard on I get 2 short beeps then 4 long. When I use the key from my other machine that I know is the wrong key I get the same thing. 2 short beeps and 4 long. Shouldnt I just get one long beep with the wrong key? I have tested all the other things you sent to test and even swapped dess post.
Joe
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic