Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2005 DF 200 Suzuki that is getting a temp alarm at…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 DF...
I have a 2005 DF 200 Suzuki that is getting a temp alarm at Idle
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
2/16/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is the engine actually running hot? Have you taken the temps of the cylinder heads to see if it's running hot or not?

Jason,
I have no pyrometer to verify that it is hot. I can tell you that when I run full out or speed the boat up it will not alarm but when idle or trolling I do get the alarm and shutdown.
My name is ***** ***** about that, I just did see where you asked for my name.

Hi Ted. If you do no have a pyrometer, what makes you say the alarm is for temp and not something else? What kind of indicator are you getting that it is for temp?

There is a temp light on my gauge panel. It is a idiot light but why it doesn't flag when I am not at Idle.

I understand. In the shop what I would do is pull the engine cover, and duplicate the problem. Once the alarm goes off, I would scan the tops of the cylinder heads with a pyrometer. If the engine is running normal, about 160F or so, then one of the temp sensor is bad and activating prematurely. From there I would test the temp sensors, and replace the bad one. If it is running hot, over 190 F or more. Then a compression test and possibly a leakdown test is in order to check for a bad head gasket. If the head gaskets appear to be good, then I would drop the lower unit again, pull the themostats out, flush the block out with a garden hose. And go back through the impeller to make sure it was done correctly, and that all gaskets and seals are in place, and check to make sure the pump cover isn't warped or cracked. Does that all make sense?

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic