Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I'm trying to wire a new tachometer on my boat but none of…

Customer Question
I'm trying to wire a...
I'm trying to wire a new tachometer on my boat but none of the colors are matching per the tachometer instructions. I have a black, grey and white,solid grey,and purple, and blue and tan or peach looking wire and a plain tan or peach color... I'm trying to see what goes where? It's a Mercuty 150 xR6
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
2/13/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Eric, my name is Jason.

What is the brand and model number on the tach you are trying to wire up?

I also attached pics of the wires to the tachometer comment

I can't find a picture of the tach to look at online. How many studs does it have on the back, just 3? Are the studs labled power, ground, and signal? (or something to that effect?

Got it

Now that I can see it, that tach isn't going to work with your outboard. That tachometer will only work with an inboard type engine, or an outboard with an alternator (such as an optimax) your XR6 engine doesn't use an alternator, it uses a stator/regulator setup. What you need is a tach for traditional outboards with a stator driven charging system. I hate to tell you this, but that one is not going to work.

That being said, would you still like me to explain how to wire one of these up once you get the correct tach?

I would
I do have the original tach that may work. I only bought a new tach because I had to switch all parts to a different hull

The wiring part is easy. Black goes to ground. Gray goes to Send. Purple goes to IGN. From there, if you want to bac light to work you would get a piece of scrap wire and jump IGN to LT (this will keep the light on all the time, which is what you would want because you want the heat of the bulb to help keep moisture of of the tach).

That gets your tach wired (the extra wires you have are not for the tach).

The reason I said I don't think that tach is going to work is because the XR6 engine uses a 12 Pole flywheel. 12 Pole means there are 6 magnets inside of the flywheel, and each magnet has 2 poles, a north and a south. For a total of 12 Poles. I don't see a 12 Pole setting on the back of your tach. You could try 6P and see what happens. And you wont damage the tach if you wanted to try it. But other than that I don't see any kind of indication that it's going to work with a 12 Pole charging system. If you hook it up, set it to 6P, and the tach is reading double or triple of what the actual RPMS are then you know it' won't work with that engine. Does that make sense?

it does

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Hi Eric, just checking in. Any luck?