Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2000 Yamaha 1200 after machine has run while and is

Customer Question
2000 Yamaha 1200 after machine...
2000 Yamaha 1200 after machine has run for a while and is restarted the throttle opens all the way up and will not release. After the machine has cooled down it runs normal again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
2/3/2016
Marine Mechanic: Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft

Hi Larry, my name is ***** ***** this a Watercraft ? so when the unit is cold it starts and runs fine until its hot then it appears that the throttle is sticking ?

Has someone worked on the engine or the carbs lately ?

Thanks

The machine runs very well but after it has run for a while and is turned off when it is restarted the throttle opens all the way up and will not release. it is a jetski and no the engine or carbs have not been worked on recently

Thanks Larry, where is the ski's main use, salt or fresh water ? and can you see where the throttle cables hooks to the one side of the carburetors ?

freshwater and yes I can see where the cables go into the carbs

I had to step away from my computer, I have a Birthday Celebration to attend to, so we need to determine either if its an "airleak" or the actual throttle shaft is sticking, I will try to give you a few things to check later when I get back, if not I'll be back on first thing in morning.

Thanks Larry

Kenny

What happened to you?

I'm here, you still need help on this ?

I am not sure if this is a common problem with this type of jet ski or what the problem could be.

OK thanks, ***** ***** two stroke develops a hung throttle and the cable is OK then its usually related to an air leak, so what we need to is verify or narrow it down to either a sticking cable/throttle shaft or any air leak.

So lets try this first, you need to get some correction fluid (used with old typewriters) or something (nail polish) and start the unit where its idling, then with your fluid make a mark in the cable real (where the throttle cable hooks to) then run the ski and make note where the mark is when the ski was idling verses when the engine starts to rev, and if its the same then we have another problem. You can also reach down and force that wheel back if you think that its sticking and you verified that the mark you made is different from idle to when its starts to rev by itself.

Let me know what you come up with !

Thanks

Kenny