Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My mercruiser turns over slow and wants to back spin when…

Customer Question
My mercruiser turns over slow...
My mercruiser turns over slow and wants to back spin when let off key is that timing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
2/1/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Joel, my name is Jason.

The slow turning cover can be a bad battery, low voltage to the starter, or a bad starter. Do you have a voltmeter and do you know how to take voltage measurements?

It is low voltage also I am only getting 9.5 volts when it is trying to turn over new battery's new wires to starter and new starter and relay on side of block the wiring is jerry rigget really bad were would I start to they make wire harnesses for the hole boat 1986 searay seville

At one point they made a wiring harness but it won't be available if the boat is an 86. Somebody good with electrical would have to go through it. The engine should be spinning over quickly with 9.5V if its not, the starter motor is going to be bad.