Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have broken the steering cable on my 2000/2052 Bayliner

Customer Question

I have broken the steering cable on my 2000/2052 Bayliner Trophy. I'm trying to order the right replacement parts now, but I can't find the right Teleflex system to order.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My back mount rack system has a number on the bottom of the gear box(###) ###-####..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Do you have the cable out of the boat yet?

Can you see the ccable for about 2 feet from each end?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not attempted to remove the cable yet.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok, provided that you can see the last 2 feet of the cable itself, there is a number stamped onto it. It should start with SSC, then some numbers. That is the part number of the cable that you need. You may need to remove the cable to see the numbers. Tie a string to it before you pull it out so you hae something to help feed is back thru the boat when the new one arrives.