Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Outboard 150 mod. J150STLCEM. 1990 shadow mod. 180V bass…

Customer Question
johnson outboard 150 mod. J150STLCEM...
johnson outboard 150 mod. J150STLCEM. 1990 shadow mod. 180V bass boat. hasn't been started in 5 years, batteries all but dead. what would be an estimated cost of tune up/repair?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
1/27/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Ken, my name is Jason

The proper course of action here would be;

1. Check to make sure the lower unit has gear oil in it, is full, and has no water in it

2. Remove all of the spark plugs and lightly oil the cylinders.

3. Compression test the engine. From here you would get 1 of 2 results. Either good compresson or bad compression. I will cover good compression under letter A, and what to do with bad compression under letter B

A - Good compression

If the engine has good compression, and the ignition system is showing spark on all cylinders. From here any remaining fuel in the tank would need to be pumped out. New fuel gets added. Change all filters. And attempt to start it up and see what happens. With any engine that sits there is always a chance that the carbs will end up being clogged. And that won't be known until it gets started with fresh gas.

B - Bad compression

There are a couple of things that can cause low compression. One of which is sticky piston rings from the sitting. If compression is low the next step would be to hook up the outboard to a portable fuel tank with fresh gas, run it, and then recheck compression and see if it comes up or not. If it does have sticky rings, in most cases simply running the engine for a little bit will free it up.

Cost wise. If the engine has good compression. After it is up and running the outboard will need some maintainence. The gas has to be pumped out. And it's also a good idea to pump out the oil tank as well and replace it with fresh oil. The outboard will also need new plugs, a gear oil change, and a new water pump impeller installed into it. Figure on 1 full days labor (8 hours) for 1 technician to go through the entire engine and getting it back up into runing condition. And figure on about 200 dollars in parts. And figure on about 4 bucks a gallon for each gallon of old bad gas that needs disposal.

I think that should do it. But I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Hi Ken. Did you have any other questions on the issue?

Hi Ken, just checking in. The website has charged you to speak with me but they will not credit me for helping you out until a rating is put through. No rating has been put through yet so I wanted to make sure you didn't have any further questions on the issue.

Thanks,

-Jason