Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Just bought a 1996 wellcraft 23WA Excel. There doesn't seem…

Customer Question
Just bought a 1996 wellcraft...
Just bought a 1996 wellcraft 23WA Excel. There doesn't seem to be a switch on the electrical panel at the helm for the fresh water pump. Also does the vacuum head system have a separate fresh water pump in its system?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
1/26/2016
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

Look in the galley area and the head area. They put the switch close to the areas you need water so you don't leave the pump on all the time or forget to turn the pump on after your hands are all soaped up. The head uses the same water pump to supply water to the head. The pump for the head is only a vacuum pump.

Post back with questions.

No switch in either area

Have you tried turning switches on that could be the pump. Like accessory switches. Anything listed as a pump?

tried everything at the elctircal panel, one accessory switch does turn on the head vacuum pump, but nothing happens when I turn on the other accessory switch. I would be nice to know how the fresh water pump is turned on before tearing into the pump itself

Ok if the pump doesn't come on with any of the switches it is possible the pump is bad or there is a blown fuse. You need to check for voltage at the pump. The pump may very well be on another switch not listed as the water pump. It could be on an accessory switch or on cabin lights switch. So the pump maybe on but the pump isn't working. So the next step is to check for voltage at the pump. It could have power to it now it just isn't working.

Does this make sense.

I did check all the fuses but have no way to check voltage except disconnect the pump and connect directly to the battery terminals

Well we need to be sure the pump is working when voltage is applied. You don't have a volt meter to test for voltage?

No

Without a volt meter this is going to be hard to find your problem.

I don't see how I can help any further. I will opt out.