Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 4.3L Mercruiser new short block and ignition, its…

Customer Question
I have a 4.3L...

I have a 4.3L Mercruiser new short block and ignition, its got a holley 4160 450cfm carb on it with headers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The problem is it does not have the top end it just bogs down after 4100 rpm and the other motor in the boat is new as well but can do 5200 rmp any thoughts on what adjustment to make

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $26) to post your type of question to Boat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure i can wait a bit

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
1/19/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Bob, my name is Jason.

It could be starving for fuel. Have you hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to see if it has any fuel pressure when the engine bogs down?

I tried a new fuel pump already before contacting you
Have checked timing too next vacuum?
Or other comments?

What was your fuel pressure actually reading at 4100 rpms? Also, what kind of story does this engine have? When did it last run correctly? Was it sitting a long time?

I don't have a pressure guage for this, so I swapped the electric fuel pump from the other side which worked fine. (twin engines)
Same problem, the starboard engine still bogs down at 4100rpm and the other motor runs fine up to 5200rpm so not a pump problem. changed the main filter again just to make sure that was not it.
I am going to check the vacuum on the motor and adjust the idle jets on primary using it as there are no secondary adjustments . I am wondering as the 4160 is a single pump carb with vacuum assist secondaries, could there be a problem with the power valve in the carb? The secondary's butterflies are open at WOT when you look into the carb, but it sounds like its really wanting more fuel, bogging .

The idle jets only flow fuel at idle speeds, and they have nothing to do with full speed operation.

Is there a story with this engine? Have you ever seen it make full power under a load?

Its a new short block with a new Elderbrock aluminum intake manifold and Holley 4160 PART# ***** new electronics, from Summit Racing.
Its never had good top end power on the starboard motor. So yes I am troubleshooting an old ongoing issue.
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you tried swapping the carbs to eliminate that as a possible cause?

Do both engines run off the same fuel tank?