Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My Mariner 60hp Bigfoot efi 4 stroke is making a clonking

Customer Question

My Mariner 60hp Bigfoot efi 4 stroke is making a clonking noise when running and alarm sounded for a few seconds engine cut out a couple of times but restarted ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello , s.nop31934
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that help ?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

You seem to be missing a few numbers. There are a total on a 0 then a letter, followed by 6 more numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
S.nop319314 60pt4s 2004
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know why the engine ran out of oil?

Have you checked the oil now to see if there is any metal in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think there was a reason I never checked the oil once in 90miles when checked there was no metal or bits in the oil then refilled and it seemed OK for 5 mile then started clonking again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was my mistake of not checking out why it had very little in I don't no was no water or debris . When I first ran the engine it had the wrong size prop so I could imagine it burnt to much oil but I'm not sure .
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Lets get a start on the noise. Remove the flywheel cover and slowly turn the flywheel clockwise using the 30mm nut. Line up the arrow on the cam with the embossed arrow on the block. This will be pointing at the 12 O'clock position. Then without moving the flywheel, set the cover back on the engine. The 0 mark should be in the window. If that is good, remove the spark plugs and look at the tips. If you could send me a pic of them, that would help greatly.