Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a lewmar 48st winch with an electrical motor on it. I…

Customer Question
I have a lewmar 48st...
I have a lewmar 48st winch with an electrical motor on it. I wanted to service it, but I can't get the last set of gears (pinion) out. Seems like the motor shafts prevents me from taking it out. I tried pulling the motor out from under the winch, but so far, the shaft seem stuck there. Do you have any how-to videos , instructions, drawings or anything that could help me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
1/16/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Here is the Lewmar 48 service manual. It provides step by step instructions and pictures to servicing your winch.

http://www.lewmar.com/sites/default/files/Lewmar-Support-Downloads/Product-Literature/Manual-Winch%20Service%20Manual%20B2304%20iss6.pdf

We have this. But since we have the motor shaft in there, it is not helping. We cannot get the pinion out.

Which part in the diagram us stuck?

14 and 19. Seems like the electrical motor shaft goes in the middle of them and prevents them from getting out. I can move them up and down like 1/8 of an inch but can't slide them out

I have to ask, you do have part 15 out correct?

It's out.

Ok had to check.

I can't find any doc on the electrical attachement. It has to attach somehow to those parts and I just can't see how to release it to get 14 and 19 out.

I am looking

Have you already tried to remove the 2 collets and then remove the Main shaft from the unit. The motor just bolts to the bottom of the windless.

Every piece was removed. These are the only 2 left. We unbolted the motor, but the shaft stayed attached. We can't remove it. We can turn it and that makes 14 and 19, but it's not disassembling.

The motor actually runs to the center shaft

What happens when you run the motor for a sec?

Not this assembly. The motor hooks clearly off center. I can tell when looking at the bolts fixing piece 16. Right now, the motor is unbolted, but if I manually turn the remains motor shaft, piece 14 aND 19 turn. I tried to attach pictures, but I'm having bandwidth trouble.

Thanks,

Have you tried to remove the 4 flat tip screws from the base?

No. Would we have to reseal everything if we removed those?

Just the place that it bolts to the deck.