Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Just finished the season with 1050 hours on my Volvo Tamd

Customer Question

Just finished the season with 1050 hours on my Volvo Tamd 74p. People keep saying I need to do a 1000 hr service. Boat is a 2002 with oil, filters, zinks changed annually (average 90hrs /year) coolant, belts checked changed as needed. turbos were inspected, exhaust is pure steam and clean never a dark cloud or hiccup.
I have been searching on line but can not find anywhere what is done in a 1000hr check up. just that its thousands of dollars each engine.
Does anyone have a list??
thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve my name is Jason.

On this engine the maintainence required (or reccomended depending on how you want to look at it) for the 1000 hour mark would be to change the running gears oil and filter, change the engine air filter, and check/adjust the valves. And replace the fuel filters. That is what Volvo would have you do on this engine. You said you have been searching, this schedule is actually in the engines owners manual. Do you need a copy of it? If yes, can you open p PDF files?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason
That's all I seem to find as well and why I am so confused.
I just don't understand why a 1000 he service would be 10-20k. What else would be performed?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by 10 to 20K? Are you talking about 10 to 20 thousand bucks? Is that what a marina is quoting you to do some kind of work?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve. It looks like you read my reply. The website has charged you to speak with me. Did you have any further questions on the issue?