Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

I have a 2008 Yamaha250, 4 stroke. My boat's 60 gal. fuel tank

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Yamaha250, 4 stroke. My boat's 60 gal. fuel tank has 30 gals 1 yr old fuel in it.
Is there any thing ,except pumping and disposing of the remaining 30 gals that i can do to save that fuel? woud filling the tank with 30 gals. of fresh fuel work?
work?
Bob K.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob my name is ***** ***** getting ride of most of the unstable fuel is your best bet, if you are planning on filling it as you stated and then going out and running that fuel out to pretty much empty would be the best thing. When the fuel becomes unstable it looses its octane rating and you run the risk of detonation which is not good. Treating the fuel or trying to stabilize it after it becomes unstable is a mute point in a sense. So this is what I would do if possible, I see you are in the US, go to Home Depot and in the lawn mower section there is a product "Mechanic in a Bottle" use that to the instructions on the bottle to stabilize what remaining fuel left in your tank, then if you have a small airport, see if you can purchase some AV Gas, I would probably look to get about 15 gallons of AV gas can range from about 105-109 octane. Years ago we would winterize watercraft and boats with AV gas and it usually last about a year before it starts to become unstable, its not hard on anything in the system also. If you can get the additive and the AV gas then if you cant take the boat out of you can run the engine so the fuel gets through the entire system that will at least carry you through the spring. If you just let this go without doing anything you will likely have more troubles in the spring when you go to use the boat.Let me know of this helps or you have any further questions.ThanksKenny
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert this is just a follow up on your question, if more help is needed please reply back and we can continue and further diagnosing your problem, if satisfied with my help, please accept as I can get credited for helping you. Thanks again for using Just Answer, if help is need in the future, you can request my assistance and will be glad to help.