Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have an 85 horse evinrude. had it serviced a few weeks

Customer Question
i have an 85 horse...
i have an 85 horse evinrude . had it serviced a few weeks back went to try start it but i can't get it to go. mind u i have never started a boat motor before so i have no idea how to do it correctly
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i'm thinking im doing something wrong, with the levers and switchers. or maybe stale fuel
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Can you tell me step by step how you are trying to start it. Also, what is the model number on the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi It's Craig here. Hooked the fuel line, pumped the fuel up. Put the water hose on as it is out of the water. Went to start , by lifting the lever that says lift to start. Then turned the key to start but it won;t start. There is a little toggle switch just below the key . which i have no idea what that is for.. You see i have bought this boat just recently, as i have never had a boat. I'm not sure how to go about it. the fella that serviced was going to show but never did. Not sure of the model. though it is an old motor on a
1976 model boat

Hi Craig.

Is the engine cranking over but not starting? Or is not turning over at all when you turn the key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's 11.30 pm here. So going out in the dark to check the number would be hard to do. Yes it's turning over.

Got it. A 76 model would use a traditional choke. Are you pushing in on the key switch to activate the choke when trying to start it? You didn't mention it so I thought I would ask.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well there is nothing with a choke name on it. There is the forward and reverse lever. To the side of that is a smaller lever . which has on it lift to start, which i did. Plus a toggle switch just below the key this appears to go up and down.

Being so old somebody could have changed something. But the way it is supposed to work is you turn the key to run in order to power everything up. Then push in on the key to activate the choke. And then turn it to start while holding the key in. That is how it is supposed to work.

If you turn your key to run, and then push it in, can you hear any clicking coming from the engine? This would be the sound of the choke solenoid clicking. Check that and let me know if it's working or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do in the morning and get back to you. Hope it works as I'm meant to take it and the kids out for a play tomorrow. Thanks for your time Jason.
Regards
Craig

You are very welcome Craig, let me know how you make out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i will

Sounds good. Have a good night.

-Jason

Good morning. Just checking in, any luck?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried everything you said to try. But it still didn't start.

Were you able to hear the choke solenoid click when you pushed in on the key switch?

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic