Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  23 years Caterpillar Engine Experience
30708357

My 3126 won't shut off by the key, replaced the 24 volt fuel

Customer Question

My 3126 won't shut off by the key, replaced the 24 volt fuel solenoid.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

If replacing the shutoff solenoid did not solve the problem. You have a faulty governor. I have seen this before. There is mechanical linkage in the governor assembly that connects to the shutoff and shuts the engine down. When it fails, it can either cause the engine not to start or not to shut down. I am sorry I wish I had better news.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about a bad ground, I haven't checked the other wiring connections
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

If the wiring to the solenoid is faulty. It can cause the problem as well. I assumed it was checked since the shutoff was replaced. If it has not been checked. I would check it next. If the wiring is OK. I would suspect the shutoff solenoid.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.