Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 2003 seadoo sportster le that started last year and

Customer Question

Hi Joe,
I have a 2003 seadoo sportster le that started last year and I was going to sell it. I charged the battery and went to start it today and nothing. no beep beep or fuel pump sound or anything. Then, i left it for a while and tried again and then heard the beep beep but it wouldn't start. It cranked but no start. Then I changed plugs, and went to start it again, and no beep beep but I heard the fuel pump. Wouldn't crank or even click the starter solenoid. Very frustrating. Is it a bad mpem or a lanyard ???
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello and good afternoon,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

The first place I would start since things keep changing vs same symptoms would be grounds such as main battery ground cable and the lanyard and post cleaning them with an eraser and mild soap/water..... if still having the problem then I would suggest having the battery tested via a professional battery load tester as it may have a bad cell, next would be testing the lanyard/dess system:

Engine start/stop switch verification;
Disconnect the Yellow/Red wire of the start/stop switch. Using an ohmmeter, connect test probes to the Yellow/Red wire and to ground. Measure resistance, it must be an open circuit (switch is normally open). Depress and hold switch, the ohmmeter should read close to “0” ohm.

Safety Lanyard Switch Verification;
If 2 short beeps are not heard when installing the safety lanyard, disconnect the switch wires.
Safety lanyard removed;
connect the test probes to switch Black and Black/Yellow wires. It’s an open circuit, there should be no continuity.
Connect one test probe to the White/Gray wire and the other test probe to the switch terminal. Measure resistance, it should be “0” ohm. Connect one test probe to the Black wire and the other test probe to the switch ring. Measure resistance, it must be close to “0” ohm.
Safety lanyard on switch; connect the probes to switch Black and Black /Yellow wires. Measure resistance, it must be “0” ohm.

DESS Codes/ Beeps
2 Short beeps …the engine is ready to start
1 Long beep …no communication to MPEM
4 Short beeps… (on Jet Boats) Shifter is in gear
8 Short beeps…defective MPEM
1 Continual beep…engine over heating

Advanced Self- Diagnostic Mode

By pushing the start/stop button 5 times, you’re putting the DESS in advanced diagnostics. When you have successfully done this, you'll hear 1 short, 1 long beep then, put on the lanyard cap. The engines should start if everything is ok.

2 Short beeps means MPEM can’t read the lanyard cap or it has bad magnet. It could be a bad wire connection at the Lanyard switch.
2 Long beeps means wrong lanyard or bad connection of DESS connection
3 beeps signal the wiring harness of the DESS switch are grounded, or a short circuit somewhere.

Check the pins on the computer and the harness for corrosion/salt.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.