Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Tan, I need step by step detailed (with photos) on how you

Customer Question

Tan, I need step by step detailed (with photos) on how you (as an experienced mechanic) would winterize a MerCruiser 3.0L 4 Cyl with Alpha-One drive
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The first thing we need to do is run the boat fuel tank down to less than 1/4 tank. Add fuel stabilizer. Run engine to get fuel stabilizer in to the fuel system. Remove the flame arrestor and with a can of storage fogging oil spray down carb till engine starts smoking.

Now I am posting a pic of the drainage system you could have not all models came with the connection as in this pic. If you don't have these hoses we can just drain the engine block and manifold. Remove the large circulation hose from the circulation pump to drain water. This is the largest hose on the front of the motor.Let me know if you don't have the hoses and fittings in this pic.

Once you have done these procedures in this order we need to check the gear lube in the drive. Remove the bottom drain plug check for water. I always change the gear lube for storage. Many just check for water in the lube.

Once you have done all these procedures disconnect battery. Leave the drive in the down position.

Post back on all the procedures if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan,
First and most nervous question is am I in trouble in the temps been as low as 26 degrees during the evening and high as 54 degrees during the day? Currently it's 29 degrees at 11:45PMHow much fuel stabilizer?
I read all people do is add antifreeze to the engine via earmuffs, at what part should I do that?
I believe I have the yellow "T" handle near the carb towards the front end of the engine.
How do I change the gear lube and do you have pictures of the plug or plugs?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

You should be concerned for hard freezes. If you can't winterize put a light next to the engine and close engine compartment.

The amount of fuel stabilizer depends on the amount of fuel in the tank. Follow the instructions on the stabilizer container. You can't use to much so just a guess as to the amount is sufficient.

The easiest way to put antifreeze in the engine and manifold is at the thermostat and pour anti freeze into the engine and manifold.

In this pic remove hoses from # ***** circled in red and # ***** exhaust/intake manifold. Pour anti freeze into each of these openings. The opening on #1 is to fill the engine with antifreeze. The hose # ***** is where you fill the exhaust.intake manifold with anti freeze.

Here is a video of the drive lube change. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4zzcNjbQ3U

Use quicksilver High Performance gear lube. Here is a link to the pump and gear lube. You will need more than one quart of lube. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400718629014?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, I have the "T" handle drain system. when I disconnected both sides water came out, how much should of drained? Also there are three hose on the thermostat housing, one on one side and two on the other side, do these three hoses get disconnected and filled with antifreeze? Finally, the cable on the "T" handle connection popped off the bar, how do you reconnect the bar to the "T" handle cable?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Let it drain till no more water comes out. Disconnect the bottom hose on the side with 2 hoses. Pour antifreeze into the hose going to the manifold then use the hose on the manifold to add antifreeze to the t-stat housing.

The cable should just pop back into the bar. You might have to try different angles to get the cable back in the bar. But it goes back in as easy as it came out.