Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have two Yamaha vx110's. One is 2008 the other is 2009.

Customer Question
Both are having problems starting...
i have two Yamaha vx110's. One is 2008 the other is 2009. Both are having problems starting. When the ignition button is pressed, a click and a buzz is heard. The dash lights come on, but no cranking. After awhile the 2008 finally starts. It may take 10 or 20 tries. I have charged the batteries. One the thing cranks, the Waverunner runs fine. After stopping, sometimes they start, sometimes we are back to the click and hum and I need to continue to keep trying. Once running, they both run fine. We run them in Salt water, and rinse them our after each use. I have not been using dry vac until recently. Any chance this could be corrosion? One of them had a battery replacement last year. The battery connections have been checked. Any idea what to check or what to replace. It is weird that they are both having this issue at the same time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Both Wave Runners have over 650 hours on the original engines. When trying to start, the volts on the dash are 12.00 to 11.00. Under full throttle, is shows 14.0 to 14.3 +/-. I have been having the oil and filter changed between every 75 to 100 hours.
I run Non-ethanol 87 octane on them both and have been for the last 300 hours.They are kept outside, with a factory type covers. I live in southwest Florida. Very humid and it rains almost everyday during the summer.
I have purchased a new battery, in case I can use that for troubleshooting.
11/15/2015
Marine Mechanic: Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft

Hi my name is ***** ***** you have a multi-meter ?

Kenny, yes I do have a multi-meter.

OK good, I need you to get me some readings on the battery, I will list below what I would like you to perform and then get back to me with the results.

Thanks

1. Set your meter to VDC, with the key off measure the battery voltage.
  2. Initiate the ignition system, (turn on) and then measure the voltage (might see a slight drop)
  3. With your meter still hooked up to the battery, while observing your meter, press the starter button and while the engine is turning over record the lowest reading on the meter.

If you can get back to me with those results. then we'll move forward from there.

Thanks

Kenny

Kenny,
see below:
Set your meter to VDC, with the key off measure the battery voltage.Initiate the ignition system, (turn on) and then measure the voltage (might see a slight drop) It shows about 11.9
With your meter still hooked up to the battery, while observing your meter, press the starter button and while the engine is turning over record the lowest reading on the meter.It dropped to 11.4, but then nothing. Occasionally it clicked inside the engine compartment, then hums for 4 or 5 seconds. Sometimes there is nothing. I removed the ignition on the handlebars and there was quite a bit of salt in there. Moving the start button right and left does give different results, but still no turnover.

Thanks Walter, with the unit turning over and if you are correct with a voltage drop only down to 11.4 VDC says to me that the battery is fine. As you pointed out this ski is used in salt water, at this point I suspect that you definitely have a connection issue, and it sure has intermittent written all over it.

I have to step out of the a bit, I see you say you have a 2009 VX110, if you don't mind give me the hull number and when I get back I can make sure that I grab the correct diagram and then I will go through that and give you the likely the best place to start, as far as reliability on the harness on this model they have been OK, plus Yamaha does pretty good with there harness's but that doesn't mean that you won't develop problems especially in salt water conditions.

Anyway I will get back to you a little later, I'm in California!

Thanks

Kenny

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic