Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Im bernard located in Tahiti french polynesia. have a hard

Customer Question

hi, im bernard located in Tahiti french polynesia. have a hard time with pulling up my 90 cv engine fom sea ryder. i could take off the nuts but the bolts are corroded and sticking to the engine.....
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Bernard. My name is Tan.

You will have to use heat to heat the area around the bolts to loosen the corrosion. Then spray with a lubricant to help break up the corrosion. The combination of heat and the lubricant will break up the corrosion and allow removal. Some times a propane torch is enough. If that doesn't work you will have to use oxygen/acetylene torch to get the are hotter. So with heat ,lubrication and prying they will come loose.

I lived in Florida in the US where the water is very salty and had to use this procedure on a regular basis to get engines apart. I had great success. The trick is persistence and patience. If you rush the bolts you will break them off and it takes allot more time to drill and tap broken bolts than to be patient and use the heat and lubrication.

Post back if you need further assistance.

Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get paid for helping you.

Follow up questions are always welcome on this subject at no extra charge.

Thank you............Tan