Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Is it possible to convert a MFS15B2 to a manual choke? The

Customer Question

Is it possible to convert a MFS15B2 to a manual choke?
The motor will not stay running for more than 3 minutes. I cleaned up the flywheel and magneto. Now I have continuity to the auto by start. Not sure if I need to advance or retard the timing to get it running reliably. I put it back together matching the marks it left the factory with. Motor has less than 15 hours on it, just a victim of sitting. Carb has been completely disassembled and cleaned.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

No it's not possible. Not without re-engineering everything on your own .

When you say it will not stay running more than 3 minutes Is that at any rpm? Can you run it at a higher rpm than idle for longer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** you for your time. It will run longer than 3 minutes above an idle, but it will not sustain an idle.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Scott. That little auto starter that is attached to the carb. The part with 2 wires. If you start the engine up, and let it run above idle for say 10 minutes. After that amount of time, if you touch the auto starter, is it warm or hot to the touch. Or is it about the same temp as the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to try that and let you know. I stumbled upon this service while searching at work. So I'll have to get back to you on that. How long do we have to chat on this topic?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, and sorry for the delay. We all do this on the side, out of our houses. When you replied back last night I was alread off to bed. There are no time limits here, and questions never close out. So give it a run and let me know what happens. And we can take it from there. As far as what should happen, it should get very warm to the touch after about 5 minutes. Almost to warm for comfort. But let me know how it goes.

-Jason