Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Volvo penta 5.0 GXi with electronic ign and fuel injection.

Customer Question

Volvo penta 5.0 GXi with electronic ign and fuel injection. Pulled the engine and replaced. Since the computer controls the spark via crank shaft position sensor, knock sensor etc. the dist cap is flat black and it does not follow the 18436572 set up due to electronic ign. how do you reset the timing after the re install?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

If the engine and distributor is correct per application then the firing order and timing will not be different then what the motor calls for, the procedure for setting the timing would remain the same. Now if something is different then it'd just be a difference of firing order and the timing would/should still remain the same, any changes would mean you would need to locate what year/model the ignition system is from if that was also changed, otherwise simply swap the old ignition system from the engine being replaced to the replacement.

Hopefully I have understood your question correctly, if not I do apologize.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically what if the motor is swapped out. The Volvo engine is a 5.0gxi it is MPI fuel injected as well as computerized. The dist is not a points dist or HEI really. There is a crank shaft sensor and a knock sensor as well as the computer. So I set the motor to TDC and then place the dist in. Will there need to be additional work from the computer? There is not timing marks and the computer appears to adjust its own Degree of angle. ?
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

I see, I think what you are saying is that this vessel had a different motor in it before (not computer controlled as an example), this computer controlled motor will control timing however the base timing must be set, you did correct with tdc setting of the distributor but you still need to set the base timing and if you can provide the complete model number I would be happy to locate the timing specs for you.

Thanks,

Joe