Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I just bought a a boat with a 200 hp black max just did a

Customer Question

i just bought a a boat with a 200 hp black max just did a comp test cyl 115/115/116/115/115/90 ??????????
should have done it first before i bought it but now should I rebuild it or is it toast??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't panic yet. I would do a leak down test if possible. A borescope to look at the piston would help. If that is not possible get a led flexible neck flashlight. Lowes has them for about $10. Look in the cylinder and look at the edges of the piston. If the piston is OK looking, not erroded no obvious damage, then I would get a can of Marcury's Power Tune. It is a spray carbon cleaner. Follow label directions and treat all the cylinders. Put a bit more in the bad cylinder.

Do the treatment twice and then recheck the compression figures. If the number comes up then the problem is sticking rings. Then treat the fuel with Mercury's Quickleen in the fuel.

If the piston is distorted or any signs of rubbing on the cylinder walls then the engine will need to come apart.

Post back what you find.

Thanks