Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have two 2003 225 EFI mercury outboards, I have one

Customer Question

I have two 2003 225 EFI mercury outboards , I have one (starboard ) that shuts down for no apparent reason ,the overheat light shows for a second and it shuts off , if i go to the battery switch , turn it off and then back on . I can go start the motor and it runs like nothing is wrong , It happened 3 times , once in 3` seas , at 4200 rpm's , once when i had idlded down form 4200 rpm's to 2000 rpm's after a short trip 30 minutes run time . them I took it for about an 90, minute run at 5000 rpm's ,anchored up for 30 minutes started it up again to return and after about 15 minutes it shut off again.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

First start by checking all electrical connections, powers, grounds, check the battery cables at the battery switch, etc. These should all be clean and tight. Next confirm you do not have a faulty temp sender and that water is flowing correctly without restriction which includes checking the impeller. If nothing is found and only cutting power resets and allows it to work then you may have an ecu problem and may wish to try swapping them between engines to see if the problem corrects and then follows the starboard ecu problem to the port engine with the swap.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.