Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 2000 Honda 130 outboard 4 stroke that has had water

Customer Question
in the gas tank and...
I have a 2000 Honda 130 outboard 4 stroke that has had water in the gas tank and the water finally slowed down and stopped the motor from running. I have since then removed all water from the gas tank, drained the fuel filters. Once I pulled and cleaned the plugs. I place some gas in each cylinder. It ran for a few minutes then stopped again. I suspect there may be water in the system yet. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I have also drained the vapor separator and added heet into the gas tank. The gas in the tank now looks OK , just drained the Vapor separator and I had gas/water separation. I am testing now, I thought I would get a response sooner than this I may have solved the problem.
10/18/2015
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic

Hi being a Saturday most of us are off.

If you get water in the tank you need to pump the tank out. At the shop we have a dedicated 12 volt pump. We remove the fuel sender, 5 screws, and then can drain the tank. The fuel pick up is actually a little above the bottom of the tank so you can't get all the water out using the fuel lines.

I also wouldn't recommend HEET or any other alcohol based additive. It messes with the fuel and if ethanol fuel makes it even worse.

I would also highly recommend installing an external water separating fuel filter. In your case get a RACOR filter with a Vis-a-bowl. THis is a clear plastic bowl with a drain cock on the bottom that attaches to the filter. You can actually see the fuel in the filter and drain any water. This gets rid of the water before it gets to the engine and allows you to drain it, saving dollars on replacement filters. You will need to replace filters periodically.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

I have done all of the above except draining the tank completely, I have pumped several gallons out of the tank and there is no longer indications of water. I like the idea of a RACOR filter in the future and will replace the old one. But for now I have actually disconnected the gas tank and replaced it with t temporary one with certainly good gas. After cleaning the plugs , adding a little fuel in each cylinder it runs for a few seconds and stops. Could there be water with the engine yet. Again,. I have drained the filters , and also the vapor separator which show separation of water and gas. It seems like there is bad fuel within the engine yet, is there anyway to drain this completely?

There is a drain on the bottom of the vapor separator. You need to open it and using the primer bulb push fuel through the system until you get only good new fuel. Then close the drain and refill the separator.

When you turn the key to ON, do you hear the fuel pump run? The fuel pump is prone to damage from water. It can internally rust or stick. I would run some Mercury Quickleen or Yamaha Ring Free in the fuel for at least a tank full to help clean the system.

Your pictures look like possibly water in the fuel. Any separation would be water. The small filters I would just replace.

Since you are unable to totally drain the tank or pump it out I would not try running the engine until you install the Racor filter.

When you drain the separator, drain into some paper towels and then dispose of properly.

I will try this tomorrow Thank You!

Let me know if you have any problems.

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic