Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Trigger an source coil tests out board 15 HP 2 stroke

Customer Question

Trigger an source coil tests for yhamaha out board 15 HP 2 stroke
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Specs can vary a bit year to year. Do you have a model number or year on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Chris
63v01 ------ y 2 these are all the visible numbers and letters on the engine .Its is a two stroke two clyinder out board engine straight gas (no kerosene) yhamaha outbordI don't have any more information on the engine
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris. Those numbers don't do me any good. If you look at the color of the wires that come out from under the flywheel what colors do you have there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The charge coil (pic 1) should measure in the 90 ohm ballpark. Meausure between the blue and brown wires

The trigger coil is a white with a red stripe wire. That should measure 100 ohms ballpark. Measure between the white/red wire that goes up to the charge coil and engine ground.

What was what you had asked, was there anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ignition coils have a black wire and a black with white line . in would like to kno the resistance reading for it and also for u to look at my meter in the pic below an tell me what range I should be using
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you have 2 different ignition coils or 1 coil with 2 plug wires on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two coils (2) and the range on my meter please and is the range the same on each test for the 3 test
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The ignition coils should be just a couple of ohms btween the black black/white wire. And then 6K to 8K ohms between the black and end of the plug cap.

On your meter. All tests will be done on the 200 range except for the last test measureing between the end of the spark plug wire and the black wire, that would be one on 20K

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ignition coils read 1.25 between black and black and white at the 20k rangeAnd then read 15.65 coil 1and 2.45 coil 2 at the 20 k range between the cap and black wire
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are supposed to measure the coils on the 200 range, not the 20k range.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are confusing 200K for 200

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Look carefully at the pictures I have the meter at 200k for the trigger coil and the source coil..Then for the ignition coil (spark plug coil ) I used 20k for both test because between the black and black with white wire there was no reading on the 200k range but it read on the 20k
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are supposed to use the 200 range (and not 200k) for all tests except for reading between the black wire and the spark plug wire. For that you are supposed to use 20K

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If you got an open reading the component is bad.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but they have not credited me for helping you out because no rating has been put through yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue, was there anything else, or something I missed?

Thanks,

Jasosn