Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a pair of 2001 250 outboards on a 2001 Grady marlin.

Customer Question
I have a pair of...
I have a pair of 2001 250 outboards on a 2001 Grady White marlin. (About 600 hours on engines) All was running well. I hip towed a 25 ft cal sailboat to their dock. (About 6 hours) Aux fuel tanks went dry 3/4 way trough the return journey with boat in tow. I changed to main tanks and continued. Along the way engines seemed hard top sync. RPMs would vary plus or minus a few hundred rpms. When I returned home engines were running rough. Took boat out and tried to throttle up but engines would not go over about 3400 rpm's and they had trouble getting boat on plane. The engines were dogging.
Can you help me
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Retried everything this morning. My mistake. Engines will not go over 2500 rpm's.
Changed the 10 micron fuel filters. No change in engine performance.
Answered in 1 day by:
9/29/2015
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I would start by emptying the fuel filters into a glass jar and letting it rest to see if there is any water or debris in the fuel, also check fuel pressure, since the problem is with both engines I would start by checking fuel, since you ran the tanks dry it is a good chance there was junk in the bottom of the tanks that is now stuck in the system.

I am just seeing if you still need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see that your question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if you still needed help.

In some cases a question may sit due to several different reasons. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need help that I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you.

At this time please feel free when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working with me, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me know exactly what you wish to do.

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic