Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I stumbled on this site while searching with my 1996

Customer Question

I stumbled on this site while searching for issues with my 1996 evinrude oceanpro 150, when put in reverse the motor rises out of the water when backing off the trailer, also when moving in reverse in the water the motor or lower make a wierd grinding/popping sound. Forward everything is normal. This is my first boat so Im not sure if this is normal.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This will take more than one reply to solve your issue.

The engine shouldn't tilt up in reverse. We need to check the fluid (ATF) level in the trim pump. The engine needs to be tilted in the up position to add fluid. Now will the engine tilt up all the way now? Here is an diagram of the trim unit the fill plug # ***** is where you add fluid till it runs out the fill hole. If the engine won't raise on it's own loosen (4-5 turns CCW) the manual tilt screw# ***** have a friend help you lift the motor then flip the trailering arm down to support the engine now check and add fluid. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1996/E150EXEDB/POWER%20TRIM-TILT%20HYDRAULIC%20ASSEMBLY/parts.html

The creaking sound is the trim ram # ***** in the swivel housing it has become corroded and is dry. The corrosion causes pressure on the pin # ***** and bushings # ***** making the creaking sound. The pin will have to be removed and the corrosion cleaned and the bushings replaced.

Post back with questions and findings.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tilt trim works up and down, I will check the fluid levels to be sure it is full, as for the "creaking" noise I don't think it has any thing to do with the trim, when the boat is in open water and I put it into reverse, while motoring backwards the motor/lower make a sound. The best I can describe it in writing is a large chain being dragged over an edge (think old mid evil movie and castle draw bridge is being lowered) it may be normal but I dont think so. Its does move in reverse and shifts fine.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Does the engine make this noise when you tilt the motor up?

Check the gear lube in the gearcase. We need to look for metal. Does the engine jerk when going in reverse?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tilt fluid was completely full. I changed gear fluid 2 days ago before we went out again yesterday. Very minor metal shavings on magnets. Motor does seem to pop into reverse. Then makes that grinding does while backing up. Again this is the first boat I personally owned and it is older but it does seem like an odd sound.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry just reread your question. I'm not sure if it makes the noise when the motor is up. I've only had the boat out twice and motor is always down when backing up.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Ok what I need you to do is disconnect the shift cable at the motor with boat in the water. Now shift the engine into reverse manually. Does it still make the sound? If no then we need to check the cable adjustment. If it still make s the sound we have to go into it further. When the engine is in reverse check the shift lever when it is making the sound is the lever on the engine jumping?

When initially going into gear it will make a grinding sound but once in gear it should not be making any noise. It is hard to know what the sound is you are describing without hearing it myself. Different sounds can be many different things. So we have to determine if it is the lower unit or something else.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will try it next time I'm on the water and let you know.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Ok I will be here.