Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1979 1150 6 cylinder (tower of power) mercury. It

Customer Question

I have a 1979 1150 6 cylinder (tower of power) mercury. It has ran great over the years, but this year when out started but dies when you power up. The gas line is not staying pressurized even when pumping it. I have checked all the fuel lines and fuel pump for leaks for leaks. Where do I look next?
Jim Lennard
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jim, my name is ***** ***** be assisting you today.

What brand of primer bulb did you install in the fuel line? Is the arrow pointing toward the engine?

What type of fuel tank do you have in the boat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a general brand bulb and yes it is pointed the right way. The fuel tank is a built in tank, not a tote tank.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

Look at the fuel line from the tank to the engine, if it is gray with red letters on it, check it to see that it is not coming apart on the inside.

Can you access the tank top?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only grey part is from the bulb to the motor and it looks good. The rest is all heavy black gas line with white numbers on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can squeeze into the top of the tank to take a look.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

Remove the black hose from where it connects to the tank. Take out the pick up. Make sure that the tube on it is tight by holding the metal part and trying to turn the tube. IF it moves at all, replace the pick up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'II get back to you on that.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

I will be online after noon CST tomorrow for a bit. hen after 6 PM CST until midnight.