Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 23' Craft with a Volvo Penta IO. The Tilt will lift

Customer Question

I have a 23' Chris Craft with a Volvo Penta IO. The Tilt will lift the outdrive, but it doesn't go high enough for towing the boat. Not sure why. It is an older boat, I bought it used and I do not know if it ever lifted higher. It is a problem now as I have very little clearance to tow it.
I would say it lifts to 60 degrees with the motor. Any way to release it from hydraulic lift and get it up manually? just need to do it to be able to tow it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This will take more than one reply to resolve your issue.

Have you checked the fluid level in the trim pump?

If the fluiod level is low the drive will not tilt all the way up.

If the fluid level is full then the only way to get the drive up is disconnect the trim rams from the drive and use a piece of rope to tie the drive up higher for trailering.

Now what is the model of the drive and engine please? With these number I can be more specific on the trim pump.

The tim unit can be filled at the trim pump. Just follow the sound of the trim pump to locate the trim.