Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My 2008 mercury 60hp bigfoot cuts rpms after 30 minutes of

Customer Question

My 2008 mercury 60hp bigfoot cuts rpms after 30 minutes of use. Then continues to do so. Can then only run at idle. After cooling down, you can run fast again, but will do the same after 10 to 15 minutes
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can run it and see what you have.

Next, have you done any kind of testing on your own, if yes, what have you done?

Does the alarm system work on the engine, does it beep every time you start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1c076649. Alarm does beep when i turn on ignition. No beeping when rpms drop. Have not done any testing
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. What needs to happen here is 2 things. First the problem needs to be duplicated. And then after that spark needs to be checked with an adjustable gap spark tool. Is that something you can do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the gap on the spark plugs. I replaced them and they are set fine. The problem happens every time out
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No I mean using and adjustable gap spark tester on the engine, it is a tool. Click this link below to watch a video. Fast forward to the 3 minute mark. This explains how to do a spark test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmNMWTDtZE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have on of these
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't sound like this is something i'm going to be able to help you out with then. The engine needs testing and if you can't do that then there is nothing we can do together in order to try and figure this out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am being charged for this based on your last comment where you say there is nothing you can do to help
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you still need assistance with the engine?