Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I want to know how to operate the overboard discharge on the

Customer Question

I want to know how to operate the overboard discharge on the 1996 55' Sea Ray Sedan Bridge. There is a switch on the control panel to run the over board discharge, but when I hold the discharge switch, I hear a pump running but it doesn't seem to be doing anything...The tank remains full after holding the switch for several minutes....
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 2 years ago.

You need to follow the discharge hose from the pump to the hull, most likely the thru hull is closed (and may be wired to be legal in inshore waters). Also, depending on how your boat was ordered, there may be a Y valve near the waste tank that will need to be opened also, it should also be wired or tie wrapped in the off position in inshore or no discharge areas to be USCG legal.