Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My 2002 express cruiser(Campion 925 Allante) has dual volvo

Customer Question

my 2002 express cruiser(Campion 925 Allante) has dual volvo penta 5.7 GSi motors with duo props and only 300 hrs on them. I live in central California valley where summer temps can get to 100 degrees.
After a recent professional haul out, oil change ( with Volvo recommended 30 weight), bottom paint etc, I noticed that after a hour run at about 3200 rpm( 28 mph) and then came down to idle speed in a no wake zone, a loud dashboard alarm came on and I noticed that the oil press. gauge was reading 10 psi. I don't think the temp gauge was very high , but I'm not 100% sure about that. After 3 or so minutes, i finally turned the motors off, waited 3 minutes, started up again, and the alarm was off.
I've had this happen two times.
I wonder if the Volvo recommended 30 wt oil gets too thin at hi temps which leads to the low oil pressure and the alarm.
The engines have had 30 wt oil in them since I've had the boat( 5 yrs).
I wonder if I should change to 5w 40 or even a higher temp oil?
Change the oil p sender?
Check for a scored raw water pump not crating enough suction at low rpm?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Volvo does recommend straight 30. And 10 psi o oil pressure is not low enough to trip the oil pressure switch, it needsto be down lower than 4 psi.

What being said, 2 questions back to you.

1. What is the full model number on the engine. GSi is a family of engines. I would need the whole thing. There should be another letter or two after the GSi

2. When was the last time the cooling system was serviced with a new impeller and thermostat?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

It looks like you read my reply and logged off. Did you have any further questions on the issue?