Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2010 Merc Verado 150 with 200 hours. Any new information

Customer Question

2010 Merc Verado 150 with 200 hours.
Any new information available on the Merc Verado Fuel Lift Pump alarm? Two times now out of the last 5 times I've fished; the lift pump alarm has sounded and then shut the boat down. The first time the marine tech who services the boat replaced the lift pump float thing. Boat ran good for the following two times. The last time I went out the same thing happened. The tech said he replaced the fuel pump itself and then did a very thorough. Diagnostic of the fuel lines, etc. I'm scared now to take this boat. Someone please help!
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid go to the boat off shore now. I have not been using ethanol free gas. I am now but I wasn't. The boat ran like a dream the first year and a half I had it. But again, this "Fuel Lift Pump" issue has come on the last 2 of 5 times.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Do you have SmartCraft gauges, if so what is the alarm code or the text that it is displaying?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first time it said "Fuel tilt Pump not working properly". "Return to Port immediately".The second time it said the same thing and then something about the Fuel Pump being critical.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Deos the alarm say Lift ump time out?

Did your tech replace both floats?

Is it always the same engine with the problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for not being more firm. Yes, I think it did say Lift Pump time out. It's just in the main engine which is a Verado 150. Single engine. I have a Merc Prokicker 9.9 that has been problem free. I know he's replaced the "lift pump" and "fuel pump". It's "apparently" fixed. I'm just leaving this Friday to fish off shore and I'm a little bit tense about getting out there and having this happen again. Looking for some reassurance :).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not been able to get it out for a trial run before our trip.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also- both times after the boat had rested for 20 minutes or so, it has eventually fired up and let me putt back to port. Does it reset itself or something?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

The alarm will reset after every key up. Is there a primer bulb in your fuel line?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not on the Verado. I assume that's the thing you squeeze to pump fuel in to it? No. Do you think this will likely happen again? They said they looked at the tilt pump this last time and it was fine so they changed the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there something I should suggest this guy do before I leave on my trip?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Some riggers do not understand that the engine does not require a primer bulb. That is why I have to ask.

Most of the time when this happens it is the float that causes it. It can spin up the shaft that it is on and not allow the lift pump to turn on. A code of lift pump time out, would mean that it ran for longer than 180 seconds. This can be due to either sucking air in the system or a restricted fuel line. A clogged inlet filter would do the same thing. Make sure that all of your fuel hoses are tight, if you have a filter in the boat, make sure that it only has one gasket on it. You may also want to check the pick up in the fuel tank to make sure that you do not have an issue there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I will defer some of your ideas to him tomorrow when I talk to him. One more question- if this does happen to me this coming weekend, is there anything I can do do fix it or get me back on the water? I have the kicker but just curious. Talk to me like I'm 8, I'm not a very technical guy. Appreciate it. Lastly, like I mentioned, both times I've been able to fire it back up after a period of time and it ran fine. I didn't open it up and move quickly but it did fire up and run. Appreciate it, Charles.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

If you see the lift pump alarm again, try to slow the engine down some. If it is the float, that will allow it to drop down and then fill the FSM with fuel again. The you can take off again. If the issue is more at idle, it may not be the pump, but a hose inside the FSM that is broken. That doe not normally happen on the 10 model, but it could.

If it does sound, shut the engine down, then turn the key on, engine off, for 10 seconds. Do this 5 or more times. That will reprime the system and you can get going again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright, Charles. I appreciate it. Keep your fingers crossed. Do you think the tech has done the right things thus far?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Personally, I dont think that I would have replaced the pump. Unless I had checked all possible items including the tank first. Float yes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did get a Fuel Pump message that said critical this last go around.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that is when the pump ran too long.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
last q- promise:). If this happens to me on Friday (and remember I'll be fishing off the kicker 98% of the time) and I rest it or do the key trick and get back on my feet, is fishing Saturday and Sunday unsafe? Is it just going to keep happening? Or is there a way to work around it so I can enjoy my trip?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Have your guy inspect the pick u in the fuel tank and the filter in the boat if you have one. You should be ok out there since the parts are new. If it does happen to you again, it is going to be an issue in the boat and not on the engine. Could be something as simple as a loose hose clamp allowing the syustem to draw in air.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You rock!! Appreciate everything. Anything I need to do to give you a solid review?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Please accept the answers that I provided and rate my service as you feel.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do!
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.