Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Yanmar 3jh3e will not start. Tried jumping at starter

Customer Question

Yanmar 3jh3e will not start. Tried jumping at starter battery and directly at solenoid with no luck. Starter clicks but engine will not turn at all.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Do you have a hand held volt meter, and do you know how to take basic voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, we do not have a voltmeter and the marine stores are closed this weekend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is Melinda
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hi Melinda. Without a meter there isn't an kind of testing that we could do. Were there any questions I could answer for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've read that this is a known problem with yanmar engines (bad connections between solenoid and starter) and we need the engine to deliver our boat this weekend. Hoping to figure out if we can start the engine at all. It worked fine 2 weeks ago and now it's not. Can't figure out what went wrong between then and now. I guess my question is if there is any way to start the engine by hand and bypass the starter?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

No, there is no way to start it by hand. Without a meter I don't think our service s going to be of any help to you, and you need a mechanic on site.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh well. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

your very welcome good luck!