Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Low oil warning horn constant. Replaced oil tank switch. No

Customer Question

Low oil warning horn constant.
Replaced oil tank switch. No change.
Replaced oil warning Module. No change.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Overheat would be constant horn, low oil would be a beep beep beep over and over.

Does the alarm go off as soon as you start it, or only when it runs a bit? Have you disconnected the temp sensor yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motor runs cool
Oil injection also works
Horn beeps when cold or warm.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What it sounds like is the temperature sensor is bad, and activating before it should. The way the alarm is supposed to work is the temp sensor would tell the warning module to blast a constant tone, and the low oil switch would tell it to blast a beep beep beep over and over. Does that make sense? If yes, did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old oil switch has no continuity.
The new one has continuity.
Both give the same result. Cont. Beep
By disconnecting the switch, l get one Beep from horn either switch, this should not happen.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What is the serial number on your engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OD269399
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. If you disconnect the temp sensor all together does the alarm still beep?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By disconnecting the tan ground from the
warning module, the horn stops. Also by turning the oil tank over (top to bottom ) the horn sounds one beep. This with old or new switch. ???
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If disconnecting the tan lead makes the alarm stop the problem is a bad temp sensor. All the sensor does is ground out the tan wire when the engine is overheating to tell the warning module there is a problem. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the sensor switch work the same hot or cold? It does not explain the oil tanks old or new switch. Which one is correct?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The temp sensor is only supposed to ground out when hot, when the engine is overheating, and is supposed to be just an open circuit when the engine is not overheating.

This is not an oil tank issue, if it was it would beep over and over, it would not beep constantly. So we are not talking about the oil tank sensor, just the temp sensor. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is sensor switch in or part of warning module? Or a separate part? I do see it in parts.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It is mounted in the cylinder water jacket cover. Click this link to pull up a picture, it is #22

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mariner/1993/7090412BD/CYLINDER%20BLOCK%20AND%20CRANKCASE/parts.html

That should cover it. I do have to run for a bit. But if you have a further question on the issue I will get back to you in a little over an hour.

Thanks,

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay i'm back. I take it you saw the diagram. Did you have any further questions in this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Discontinued heat sensor 1
And another tan wire 2
And tan from module 3
All same ground. No hornReattached 2 and 3 constant horn
No beep.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I don't follow you.

All I would need to know is does disconnecting the tan wire silence the alarm? Yes or no?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The problem is a defective temp sensor. Replacing it will fix your problem.

Please let me know if you run into any problems when trying to put through a rating for me.

Thanks again,

Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason your answer will be accepted when the new
temp is installed and stops the fast beep that has been the problem before this conversation started. The fast beep replacement of oil tank switch and oil warning module. The fast beep starts when the ignition is turned on and stops when turned off. Also stops when tan wire from warning module is discontented..
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No problem if you want to wait on the rating. Please keep in mind the website has already charged you to speak with me, and if a rating is forgotten about they will keep your deposit and not credit me for helping you out.

Let me know how you make out.

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. Any progress?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for parts
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay keep me posted.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Any luck yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The float in the oil tank was not working. I replaced the oil tank and filter. Fast beep stopped, everything is working properly. The float was not floating as it should.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear you got it!

Happy boating,

Jason